Friday, April 24, 2009

OMAS Princess #5

Recently another long-awaited OMAS Princess fountain pen joined my collection - a 1997 Arco Green Princess with gold-filled trim!



This is the fifth Princess in my collection, and the sixth OMAS celluloid I have had the pleasure of owning. The diminutive Princess and Dama models were released along with the Paragon as the Classic Celluloid Collection in 1991. The Princess is as beautifully made as the 1930s ring top models which preceded it, and there is nothing like it amongst modern OMAS offerings.

A 5-Piece Scarlet Red Classic Celluloid Set: Dama Ballpoint #C2811, Princess Ring Top Fountain Pen with Tassel #8141, The Paragon Fountain Pen #8711, Dama (Lady) Fountain Pen #8811, and The Paragon Rollerball #5711. (Photo © Unknown)



The Classic Celluloid Collection was a high-quality OMAS range which featured their faceted, twelve-sided (dodecagonal) design turned out in four beautiful celluloid stocks: Scarlet Red, Saft Green, Pearl Grey and Arco Bronze. Later, three additional celluloids were added – Blue La Royale, Arco Green and Senape Blue:



The Classic Celluloid Collection was discontinued in ~2002. All subsequent releases in these celluloids feature different models, including several revisions of the Paragon. Models and sizes can be confusing in regard to these OMAS pens, but as a general guide:
  • The Princess is a clipless ring top, and it is tiny. It is 4.3" / 110mm capped.
  • The Dama is also known as the "1930" model. It is a very small pen, and sometimes incorrectly referred to as the "Mini Paragon". It is 4.6" / 118mm capped.
  • The Milord is the model sized between the Dama/1930 and the Paragon. It was not part of the 1991 collection.
  • The Paragon has been revised several times. When part of the 1991 collection, it was 5.5" / 142mm capped.
My Arco Green Princess has a 0.3mm Stub nib, and both pen and nib were courtesy of Dillon Ang, who like myself, has long appreciated what a exquisitely crafted little pen the Princess is. I have a couple of nibs from Dillon now, and have been very pleased with them. The pen is inked with Diamine Umber, which goes beautifully with the grey-green Arco Green celluloid.

The older OMAS nibs are of a very high, if slightly inconsistent quality, while the newer (2000 onward) Bock nibs are more uniformly produced and inconsistencies have largely been eliminated. However, this is of little concern to me... every one of my OMAS pens has a customised nib. ;)

If you have very deep pockets, only one store which I am aware of has any stock of the celluloid pens left - Pens in Asia. Be prepared to spend up for one, NOS.

5 comments:

  1. I think an Omas Arco Green may be my new dream pen! That thing is drop dead gorgeous! Consider yourself envied ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! The Arco Green is my absolute favourite Omas colour, I am so extremely jealous (in a friendly way of course)! Congratulations on the lovely pen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! I envy your complete Scarlet Red collection. I am working on the same with the Green Arco, if you could believe it. I stumbled upon the BP, then the Paragon FP, and just recently, the Rollerball. I only need the Princess and the Dama. Unfortunately, yours is the first Princess I have seen. PLEASE let me know if you would ever consider letting it go. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michael - sadly, the Scarlet collection is not mine... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite Omas celluloid color, too! (I've been drooling over the images of a Milord in this color on nibs.com for a while.)

    Are there any more of these where yours came from?

    Congratulations on a real find!

    ReplyDelete