Sunday, February 01, 2009

Nakaya Piccolo III - Update

I forgot to post this Nakaya update earlier (which in itself is an amazing occurrence), but my third Nakaya has been completed, and photos are available on the Nakaya website.

The pen will remain in Japan for some time yet, until the design of a new rose gold nib is complete.

The normal Chinkin technique of engraved line work into highly polished lacquer has always seemed too much of a visual contrast to me, so I opted for the subtler approach of line work into a unpolished Shu urushi body. The unpolished finish is akin to a 'satin' finish.

In a couple of months I will be starting talks with Nakaya for a fourth Piccolo, one with a completely custom design. I don't expect to see it until 2010, however, my tradition of at least one exquisite Nakaya a year is something which I love. I never mind waiting for pens like these. :)

Photo © Nakaya Corporation.

3 comments:

  1. I spoke with Mr. Yoshida, representing Nakaya pens at a dept store today. He spoke appreciatively of you, impressed, among other things, by your technical 'design' expertise.

    Saw some beautiful pens, bought a more affordable (but still precious) sumiko matte black nib in rhuthenium plated appointments.

    can't wait to see your Piccolo IV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, just saw this comment - wow, how nice! Cheers for passing that on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear the new pen has arrived? Photos, we want photos : ))

    ReplyDelete