Sunday, July 01, 2007

Ink Capacity

On Friday I had a startling experience - a co-worker approached me, and wanted to know if I could recommend a quality fountain pen with two specific requirements: that it is heavy, and short. I couldn't actually think of any pens to suggest to him (I think I was still in shock from actually discussing fountain pens in my daily life instead of FPN), but I promised I would gather bring some catalogues and recommendations to him on Monday. He also mentioned that price was no object. This makes me wonder if he has any idea of what one could spend on a fountain pen if money were no object...

But I digress...onto the subject of this post - ink capacity!

Ink capacity concerns many people; however, I am not one of them. I actually prefer to use cartridge/converter pens, because with piston-fillers you are stuck with one ink colour for awhile, which is boring. :) Anyway, I decided to find out how much a few of my most commonly used pens differ in regard to ink their capacity:


Brand / ModelTypeCapacity
ParkerCartridge~1.3ml
Pelikan M2xx & M4xxPiston-Filler~1.5ml
PilotCartridge~1.1ml
PilotConverter (CON20)~0.8ml
PlatinumCartridge~1.1ml
PlatinumConverter~0.6ml
SailorCartridge~1.1ml
SailorConverter~0.6ml
SheafferCartridge~1.3ml
Other'Short' Cartridge~0.8ml
(The above volumes are approximate.)

Looks like I'm on the right track in just refilling my cartridges with a syringe.

No comments:

Post a Comment